The early settlers that migrated to the Florin area were generally of European and Asian descent. They worked on ranches, dairies, orchards and other fields of agriculture.
In the 1850s, the world-renowned horticulturist, Mr. James Rutter, planted the prize winning 'Florin Flame Tokay' grape. For almost a century Florin, California was the center of the Tokay grape production.
Because of the array of wild flowers blooming in open fields, Judge E.B. Crocker in 1864, named the town "Florin" (from the Latin word "Flora" meaning flower). However, the name did not become official until the opening of the train depot and the post office in 1875.
In 1877, the first schoolhouse in Florin was built on McComber Lane. The Goddard Hotel, the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the Sugden's Mercantile were a few of the first establishments.
Mr. James Frasinetti established a winery in 1897 among his vast vineyards in the Florin and Gerber Road area . In 1985, the Frasinetti family opened a restaurant in the building that contained the wine producing vats. The restaurant is currently in operation and provides excellent dining and fine wines.
Before World War II, the community of Florin was rich in agriculture, and dairy farms. Tokay grape vineyards, and fields of strawberries were prominent in the area. The Florin Fruit Growers' Association was the oldest families cooperative west of the Mississippi.
During Florin's peak years (between late 1890's and early 1900's), the shipments of strawberries and grapes netted up to 245 train cars per season. Japanese immigrants built Florin's Buddhist Temple in 1919 and in 1938, a large gymnasium was added. Today this building is used as a religious and cultural center.
In 1942, the President of the United States signed Government Order 9066. This brought about the evacuation of the Japanese farmers of Florin. Due to World War II, the depression and the import of grapes from other parts of the world, the farming in Florin's production decreased.
In the early 1950's, land development became more profitable and Florin's once lush agriculture became less productive.
Florin of today, with its diversity, reflects America's rich heritage and enjoys a variety of religious and cultural gifts.
The effort of Florin Historical Society is to preserve the history and identity of Florin.
The Florin Historical Society Museum was opened in October of 2008 to share the history of Florin left by early families who settled here in the late 1800's. The museum is open for tours by appointment. The museum is located at 7145 McComber Street (corner of Florin Rd & McComber St.) in the Old Promise Lodge building.